by Barry_Cole
Well you have to be ready!!!
8-) :lol: 8-) :lol:
BC

Re: WHO'S BUILDING WHAT FOR 2022

Posted: 16 Oct 2021, 12:11
by Trevor
Okay, since Barry’s obviously bored and wants something to read:
Upscaled Keil Kraft Spectre, intended for towing duties.
http://www.bartonhewsons.uk/home/model ... diary.html

Posted: 16 Oct 2021, 17:02
by terry white
superb build thread Trevor with a very different slant on kit verses scratch build. cant wait to see the next episode.

Posted: 18 Oct 2021, 11:51
by B Sharp
Wow, never thought of that! Well done.
Brian.

Posted: 19 Oct 2021, 14:00
by Bill_E
To add to the melting pot here's my Chris Williams 1/5 scale Minimoa getting its first balance check today.

Not sure if it is going to fly in 21 or 22 - depends on how long the last 20% takes and what else gets in the way. There's also the challenge of deciding on a colour scheme.

When it is ready I will no doubt be looking for a tow! ;)
Bill

Posted: 19 Oct 2021, 17:22
by Barry_Cole
Looking good Bill. Tug ready and waiting.

:D 8-) :D 8-)

BC

Posted: 25 Nov 2021, 20:28
by JamesH
Well I'll be building a chris williams 167" 4.4m Scheibe-Loravia Topaz

Posted: 29 Nov 2021, 19:39
by B Sharp
I’ve had the Alsema Sagitta on my build list for a long time now and this winter it’s time has come. A few years ago I downloaded Jilles plans for his 1:3.5 version and even wrote out a parts list but I now feel that it is a bit too big for my aging frame to carry up a hill. :(

Vic Steel did a 1:4 version a few years back and that is easier to handle so a set of plans has been purchased. Vic’s version uses foam wings but I felt the need to design a fully built-up wing which will be nearer to scale. I also found a few problems with Vic’s fuselage structure, the least of which has the wing sitting at 0 deg to the fuselage and the tailplane sitting at +1.5 degrees. I have therefore had to do a bit of re-design in the fuselage department.

All the materials have been purchased from Balsa Cabin and I have started prepping formers and wing ribs so sticking bits together should begin fairly soon. I hope to have it finished for events this summer.
I have added a couple of images of the prototype in intend to model.

Brian. :D

Posted: 30 Nov 2021, 01:00
by Noël Rumers
Hi Guys,
Question...
Would this model, the Schweizer 1-30, be good enough to be a motor glider?
Schweizer did use the wings of their glider, the single seater 1-26 as well as the elevator and the rudder.
The fuselage was build new, with the engine and cowl of a Piper Cub J3 and the landing gear of the Cessna 170.
They kept the airbrakes in the wing too.
Schweizer did however tow gliders with the 1-30.
See the book of Paul A Schweizer and Martin Simons “ Sailplanes by Schweizer, a history “.
I did find a note that says motor glider, but the look is different only when you look down on the plane and see the larger wing span...
In 2014 I build this model as a fast in between model, but sold it the moment the paint was dry... only 3.2 m span.
Now I designed it in 1/3 scale with 4.06 m span and with the possibility to tow with it..., and started building.
And yes I know, it has been build on the other side of the globe too!!!
If not good enough, you let me know... ;)
Noël

Posted: 30 Nov 2021, 12:01
by B Sharp
I hope you flew it before you sold it Noel!
Brian.

Posted: 30 Nov 2021, 12:29
by chris williams
All the materials have been purchased from Balsa Cabin

How big a mortgage did that take, Brian...?

Posted: 01 Dec 2021, 10:02
by Noël Rumers
Hi Brian,
and no I didn't... and it hasn't flown yet... :|
But that will change when my bigger one is ready, I hope...
Noël

Posted: 01 Dec 2021, 14:42
by Trevor
Another month has gone by on my scratch tug build, based on the Keil Kraft Spectre control line model of the 1950s. Latest diary entry is here.

Posted: 08 Dec 2021, 17:27
by B Sharp
Chris, yes it was arm and a leg time.
It appears that the price of timber has almost doubled. The rumour in the trade is that a certain Mr Williams is entirely responsible for the world shortage. Calls of "not another Minimoa please" can be heard from around the country.
Brian. :D :D :D

Posted: 08 Dec 2021, 21:15
by chris williams
Calls of "not another Minimoa please" can be heard from around the country.

Too flippin' late...!

Posted: 07 Jan 2022, 20:04
by NSWanderer
chris williams wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 21:15 Calls of "not another Minimoa please" can be heard from around the country.

Too flippin' late...!
Chris, how's the 1:4.5 Sperber Jnr coming on? Such a striking shape...

Posted: 07 Jan 2022, 23:57
by chris williams
The Junior's alive and kicking and is a few video clips short of a movie...

Posted: 08 Jan 2022, 14:05
by NSWanderer
Beautiful - you've been keeping this one 'under the radar'!
Is there gonna be a plan and short kit...?

Posted: 08 Jan 2022, 15:01
by chris williams
Well a plan, certainly... 8-)

Posted: 25 Feb 2022, 21:28
by Dave_Camp
Hello all,
Late to the party, but I've just finished a 'Micro Wolf'. Modified a bit - I've tried to match the reproduction I saw at the VGC rally in Bourges (France) in 1988. Not sure why, but it had a different rudder shape at that time, but I've since seen photos with the rudder changed to the same as Chris's design. However I wanted to be different, so stuck to my interpretation of the photo. Also this version has the later aileron shape, plus airbrakes and the slotted outer wings. I drew the line at slots and airbrakes, after wasting ages trying to make 1/7th scale top & bottom brakes that worked reliably!
Changed the elevator to a stripwood construction as an idea to use with transluscent covering. Used Hobbyking matt film and oralight scale white on fuz. I uses Ronseal satin oak on the balsa before the clear film and I think it has helped reduce the whiteness of bare balsa. First flight today went OK, although I broke the skid on landing. Photos of full size and model below, I hope! (first time posting images)
Dave

Full size at Bourges -

i-TVw9CNz-X3.jpg

Model -

i-QJ6Qqc6-X3.jpg

and

i-hwqnrBP-X3.jpg

Posted: 25 Feb 2022, 23:44
by chris williams
Funnily enough, Dave, I was flying my Wolf on Oxo this afternoon...what a small world!

Posted: 31 Mar 2022, 11:43
by chris williams
Next up: 1/4 semi-scale version of the Pirat