• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Penrose Pegasus

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Adam C

Penrose Pegasus

Post by Adam C »

Hi,

Currently compiling stock and material to begin the build of the Penrose Pegasus. 136 inch span, 3rd scale floater by Harold Penrose.

The design is as british as it comes , wood , light and with a distinct 'made in a shed' design feel. I like it.

Laser cut parts from Sarik although I confess a lot was missing and Im waiting to get those bits provided.

I welcome any photos or past build experience on this one if available before I begin . Ill do my best with a build log here.

Adam
john greenfield

Re: Penrose Pegasus

Post by john greenfield »

Hi Adam

The Pegasus makes a great model. See the attached link for our 1/2 scale version.
http://www.ghostsquadron.co.uk/penrose_pegasus.html
It is a very manouverable model that also thermals surprisingly well.
I think you will enjoy your 1/3rd scale version

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Adam C

Post by Adam C »

John,

Thanks I had seen your pages and they have proved useful. So far Im waiting for my missing parts but slowly creating a parts bin of components.

Laminated parts, fittings pre drilled etc etc. F1 recut as I plan to fit a hidden 3 cell lipo and motor . Tiny 500w unit for a 3rd scale... Works a treat on my vintage floaters assuming an AUW of 10 llbs.

I have a relatively small workbench so need to look ahead, cut all my parts and then build as I dont have enough room to do anything long or bulky.

Need to have a go at steaming the fuselage longerons ...
Adam C

Post by Adam C »

OK some pics needed.

Started doing loads of laminating ribs, skid parts and making the many fittings required for the struts and all flying tail.

Rudder done and tail just requiring hinge point and front sheeting. Very light construction. 60g rudder and 90 for tail. Quite a lot of care needed to avoid warping. Covering is going to pay its part.

Rudder outline is laminated 1/8th by 1/16th spruce.

Missing parts from sarik arrived, cad work isn't very good and I've recut many of the parts myself. Doesn't help the plan has quite thick pen lines enough to make many small parts well out.
Attachments
IMG_20211120_120847 (1).jpg
IMG_20211120_120829 (1).jpg
IMG_20211120_120806 (1).jpg
Adam C

Post by Adam C »

Slight delay in proceedings. Fuz sides made up and ply skin added to nose. Framed up fuselage requires a lot of work in the form of stress release cuts to create the nose section.

Do far it resembles a shoes box up front.
Attachments
IMG_20211214_170204.jpg
IMG_20211214_170211.jpg
IMG_20211214_170228.jpg
Adam C

Post by Adam C »

OK some progress. Nose added abd remaining ply sheeting in place. Area in front of cockpit is removable to access everything.

Hole in nose is for motor shaft.

Aluminium fittings in and rear of fuselage being reinforced for sheeting. 1/64 at rear all over.

My 1/4 scale pilot disappears into the fuselage. Need to get my self a Roger pilots 1/3rd scale and 2 dials. Anyone have a source for a couple fo dials as ordering from several EU sources is now stupidly expensive.
Attachments
IMG_20211218_152312 (1).jpg
IMG_20211218_152236.jpg
IMG_20211218_152248.jpg
Adam C

Post by Adam C »

Slow progress Im afraid. I may mothball this build for a few months as sadly my wife passed away last week .

Fuselage stable however and now making the hinge for the tail. Thanks John for your help.

Trying to ensure its tight and no slop is an obsession
Attachments
IMG_20211225_113754.jpg
Mark Wilcockson

Post by Mark Wilcockson »

Adam.

We have never met but my sincere condolences on the sad loss of your wife. I am sure you will return to the build when the mood take you and we will enjoy seeing your updates

Take care

Mark
Adam C

Post by Adam C »

Ok so I have progressed the build but uploading photos to this site is a faff as I have to reduce everyone o below the limit.

If anyone is interested in building one, do contact me as its a great model with character .

Adam
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Loading pictures is a faff! I really do not understand what the problem is with loading pictures here.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk