Page 1 of 1

Penrose Pegasus

Posted: 06 Nov 2021, 09:15
by Adam C
Hi,

Currently compiling stock and material to begin the build of the Penrose Pegasus. 136 inch span, 3rd scale floater by Harold Penrose.

The design is as british as it comes , wood , light and with a distinct 'made in a shed' design feel. I like it.

Laser cut parts from Sarik although I confess a lot was missing and Im waiting to get those bits provided.

I welcome any photos or past build experience on this one if available before I begin . Ill do my best with a build log here.

Adam

Re: Penrose Pegasus

Posted: 06 Nov 2021, 09:38
by john greenfield
Hi Adam

The Pegasus makes a great model. See the attached link for our 1/2 scale version.
http://www.ghostsquadron.co.uk/penrose_pegasus.html
It is a very manouverable model that also thermals surprisingly well.
I think you will enjoy your 1/3rd scale version

AEB

Posted: 08 Nov 2021, 12:59
by Adam C
John,

Thanks I had seen your pages and they have proved useful. So far Im waiting for my missing parts but slowly creating a parts bin of components.

Laminated parts, fittings pre drilled etc etc. F1 recut as I plan to fit a hidden 3 cell lipo and motor . Tiny 500w unit for a 3rd scale... Works a treat on my vintage floaters assuming an AUW of 10 llbs.

I have a relatively small workbench so need to look ahead, cut all my parts and then build as I dont have enough room to do anything long or bulky.

Need to have a go at steaming the fuselage longerons ...

Posted: 20 Nov 2021, 13:09
by Adam C
OK some pics needed.

Started doing loads of laminating ribs, skid parts and making the many fittings required for the struts and all flying tail.

Rudder done and tail just requiring hinge point and front sheeting. Very light construction. 60g rudder and 90 for tail. Quite a lot of care needed to avoid warping. Covering is going to pay its part.

Rudder outline is laminated 1/8th by 1/16th spruce.

Missing parts from sarik arrived, cad work isn't very good and I've recut many of the parts myself. Doesn't help the plan has quite thick pen lines enough to make many small parts well out.

Posted: 15 Dec 2021, 14:36
by Adam C
Slight delay in proceedings. Fuz sides made up and ply skin added to nose. Framed up fuselage requires a lot of work in the form of stress release cuts to create the nose section.

Do far it resembles a shoes box up front.

Posted: 19 Dec 2021, 11:04
by Adam C
OK some progress. Nose added abd remaining ply sheeting in place. Area in front of cockpit is removable to access everything.

Hole in nose is for motor shaft.

Aluminium fittings in and rear of fuselage being reinforced for sheeting. 1/64 at rear all over.

My 1/4 scale pilot disappears into the fuselage. Need to get my self a Roger pilots 1/3rd scale and 2 dials. Anyone have a source for a couple fo dials as ordering from several EU sources is now stupidly expensive.

Posted: 30 Dec 2021, 18:19
by Adam C
Slow progress Im afraid. I may mothball this build for a few months as sadly my wife passed away last week .

Fuselage stable however and now making the hinge for the tail. Thanks John for your help.

Trying to ensure its tight and no slop is an obsession

Posted: 30 Dec 2021, 21:53
by Mark Wilcockson
Adam.

We have never met but my sincere condolences on the sad loss of your wife. I am sure you will return to the build when the mood take you and we will enjoy seeing your updates

Take care

Mark

Posted: 06 Feb 2022, 18:28
by Adam C
Ok so I have progressed the build but uploading photos to this site is a faff as I have to reduce everyone o below the limit.

If anyone is interested in building one, do contact me as its a great model with character .

Adam

Posted: 06 Feb 2022, 19:06
by Cliff Evans
Loading pictures is a faff! I really do not understand what the problem is with loading pictures here.

Posted: 07 Feb 2022, 08:45
by Adam C
Cliff,

Sorry to clarify, its a faff for me , nothing to do with the site itself.

android phone to apple laptop then reduce and upload..

Posted: 07 Feb 2022, 09:03
by Adam C
Ok a quick update.

fuselage stained and nose covered and painted.

Elevator hinge is simply a bolt and nylon washers for self lubrication and no stiction. Solid once bolted to fuselage. Tried a removable pin and couldnt remove the slop .

Covered with the diacov 1000 stuff. Very nice , just like solartex but cheaper...

fuselage up front full of electrics. Elevator servo under seat and 1/3rd pilot from Rogers pilots. I had to shorten his legs to avoid rubbing on the motor. Very good quality for £120.
IMG_20220207_085415 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20220207_085426 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20220207_085457 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20220207_085505 - Copy.jpg

Posted: 07 Feb 2022, 09:08
by Adam C
more pics

Some graphics off ebay . 2 small dials go on the plates shown on top. Cover in front is removable.

Motor provides a 500w emergency boost if needed. It may be enough to ROG takeoff but I cant make a dolly that doesnt interfer with the struts.
IMG_20220205_124725.jpg
IMG_20220205_124634.jpg

Posted: 07 Feb 2022, 09:11
by Cliff Evans
It shouldn't be! Tinypng (https://tinypng.com/) will reduce your pictures in size drastically and keep the quality. The free version lets you convert up to 20 pictures at up to 5Mb each.

The picture below on my machine is 4.48Mb after Tinyfying it, it is reduced to 179kb

IMG_2114.JPG

Posted: 07 Feb 2022, 23:39
by chris williams
As I understand it, Cliff has set the forum to automatically to resize images, whatever resolution they are originally...

Posted: 21 Feb 2022, 17:51
by Adam C
Progress... whilst the garden furniture is flying and I am not, so time to build.

Fuselage cables fitted and rear covering completed. Tricky if a cable goes as you have no access to the rear of the fuselage without removing
IMG_20220221_172959.jpg
IMG_20220221_173006.jpg
IMG_20220221_173034.jpg
IMG_20220221_173048.jpg
IMG_20220221_173051.jpg
Tail hinging works and doesnt move in any direction other than up and down. I reckon 2 inches up and the same down will suffice.

Now onto wing central section , laminating and making my boxed spar.

Posted: 21 Feb 2022, 19:34
by Barry_Cole
Looks good Adam, I look forward to towing it up...

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC

Posted: 22 Feb 2022, 14:29
by Adam C
Barry,

No tow hook fitted. I use slope or my auto thermal device build into the nose.

With so much flying done flat field, it's easy to power away without needing a tug.

Posted: 22 Feb 2022, 17:14
by Barry_Cole
Adam C wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 14:29 Barry,

No tow hook fitted. I use slope or my auto thermal device build into the nose.

With so much flying done flat field, it's easy to power away without needing a tug.
You should fit a tow release too, it adds another dimention. We have some with the auto thermal device, but still fit a release.
I sill want to tow it up.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC

Posted: 22 Feb 2022, 20:21
by Adam C
Why Mr Cole I do declare you are persuasive but alas the best I can now do is fit a basic hook. Would that suffice?

Posted: 22 Feb 2022, 23:27
by Barry_Cole
Adam C wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 20:21 Why Mr Cole I do declare you are persuasive but alas the best I can now do is fit a basic hook. Would that suffice?
No, not really. I will e-mail you a plan...

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC

Posted: 23 Feb 2022, 09:01
by Trevor
I'm sure Barry will offer you a great approach but, if it helps, I did do a similar retrofit on my AV36 - after it had already had a motor retrofitted!

http://www.bartonhewsons.uk/home/modelf ... lease.html

Posted: 23 Feb 2022, 09:53
by chris williams
All you need is the Smallpiece Super-Separator...

Posted: 23 Feb 2022, 11:00
by Barry_Cole
There you go.No excuses now.

E-mail sent.

:D :D :D :D

BC

Posted: 23 Feb 2022, 13:09
by Adam C
Barry,

Lovely plan but too late now for me. I'm not able to fit it in with all the electrics in place. Next time...

Posted: 09 Mar 2022, 15:54
by Adam C
OK slow progress as there's been flying weather.

Rear of ribs added to spar. Changes TE so ribs not just butt glued to spruce LE. Full length 1/64ply top and bottom encapsulates the lot and is very strong.

Posted: 09 Mar 2022, 17:39
by Barry_Cole
OK slow progress as there's been flying weather.

THERE HAS???, WHERE??

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC

Posted: 10 Mar 2022, 08:57
by Adam C
Nice few days of easterly winds, ideal for hms Mercury near petersfield

Posted: 19 Mar 2022, 07:53
by Adam C
Centre section almost done and sitting at 450g.. TE encapsulated in strips of 1/64ply quite rigid compared to the original design. Centre section sheeted as well for piece of mind as there isn't a lot of meat on the bone round that area. Will do underside as well in the middle.

Brass joiners and premade strut fixings on ply plates. They can be installed after sheeting. Need to now build the wing tips.

Posted: 06 Apr 2022, 21:07
by Adam C
Centre section sheeted on top and aluminium fittings glued in place. Remarkably accurate fitting which isn't my hallmark. I'm happy with a 3mm error but everything is spot on.

Struts next but not before I do the sheeting under the wing. Outer sheeting wil be done once the outer panels are completed so any joining issues are easy to address

Posted: 02 Aug 2023, 09:05
by AdamChambers
Well many apologies for such a long delay in updating this build.

Life threw me a massive curve ball and everything took a back seat .

The penrose is finished awaiting a decent easterly for its maiden. Cant say I remotely enjoyed building the wing tips which are fragile up until the last glue joint is made on the sheeting. I used 1/64 ply and learnt a lot about how to use it covering the tapered wings. I soak it for 24 hours and let it dry on the wing before trimming and gluing. A very slow process.

I have since spoken to Barry A who resides on here and he cleverly went with 1/16 balsa on his, covering with oratex and doing a faux wood effect painting which would have worked a lot better.

No airbrakes at all but given its a wardbrobe of a fuselage and undercambered , I doubt it will require much to slow he to landing pace.

Wing centre remains attached to the fuselage. BQ pine profile section to struts with soft steel tabs inserted. Wing tip is held up and in place with a simple steel tang, the plan shows a steel staple . The join is then taped with a 3/8th strip of covered ply and then blenderm. Diacov and water based varnish to seal the wood stain and covering.

AUW is about 5kg, and required 100g lead , not forgetting the electrics up front.

Posted: 02 Aug 2023, 21:24
by Cliff Evans
Very nice!

Posted: 03 Oct 2023, 09:34
by AdamChambers
Well she flies and boy does she fly well.

With the visuual appearance of a wardrobe , I expected a barge of a model but instead she is incredibly nimble and aerobatic, yes aerobatic.

I can fly in 8 mph up to 15 mph and she is a real pleasure to fly, thermals very well and cruises all day without fuss. Landings are a bit more involved as there are no airbrakes or flaps but you learn to scrub speed off on approach and slide her along. I may add up ailerons .

My 3 cell set up for power is perfect. One lazy evening flight had me reaching for the motor and she arose at 45 degrees at half power. I reckon im on 40-50w/lb.

Posted: 03 Oct 2023, 10:35
by Cliff Evans
Well done Adam.

Posted: 03 Oct 2023, 10:59
by Mike F
Sounds perfect. Well done Alan!