Page 1 of 1

Milson Airstrip Aerotow Events 2022

Posted: 11 Nov 2021, 16:11
by Ray Watts
Hi Everyone.

Just to let you know the planned dates for next years aerotow weekends at Milson Airstrip, Little Down Farm, Milson.

Friday June 17th to Sunday June 19th, and Friday September 16th to Sunday September 18th.

Basically the same dates that would have been this year had I run 2 Events and the previous 4 years dates (though it didn't happen in 2020).

More details to follow nearer the time.

Cheers

Ray

Re: Milson Airstrip Aerotow Events 2022

Posted: 11 Nov 2021, 17:36
by catwok
Nice & early Ray...

Posted: 11 Nov 2021, 18:04
by Cliff Evans
Thanks Ray, I will not put them on the main diary yet, just in case things change.

Posted: 12 Nov 2021, 09:11
by Elliot Howells
whooot!

will have two useful tugs for this Ray, thanks so much for organising, it's certainly one of the highlights of my year :)

Ell.

Posted: 04 Jan 2022, 15:52
by Dave Mackintosh
Splendid!

Posted: 05 Jan 2022, 07:36
by simon_t
Great news Ray (and Happy New Year to Mandy & yourself). Hope to be there, maybe even with the Pawnee tug, which due to the recent poor weather has progressed quite well recently.

Simon

Posted: 05 Jan 2022, 12:47
by Ray Watts
Cheers Simon and thanks for that. Looking forward to it though it seems a way off at the moment. Soon be summer.
The Pawnee should be good :)
Ray

Posted: 12 Jan 2022, 21:04
by Cliff Hannam
Brilliant!
Thanks Ray, really looking forward to them both - as usual.

Regards and best wishes to you and Mandy,

Cliff

Posted: 07 Jun 2022, 11:25
by Ray Watts
Hi All.

Only 10 days now until the June 2022 Milson Aerotow on Friday, Saturday and Sunday the 17th to 19th of June. The BMFA have issued the Permit and the NOTAM is applied for and they contacted me the day after applying 2 weeks ago, so should all be in place. Please be aware that this is for under 25kg models only due to the nature of the site and keeping safety in mind for pilots, pits and runway separation distances. Camping is available from Thursday evening through to Monday and I hope to be there by early evening on the Thursday and staying to Monday lunchtime (weather permitting). There is water available on site and 2 toilets to use, but there is NO Elsan Disposal for campers (definitely not down the toilets). Payment for flying and camping is by donation which all goes to the local Air Ambulance Trust. I would suggest around £10 per day like at Sherlowe and something for camping, but it is a donation so you will have be the judge for that.

Please note that during the day when the aerotow is running there should be no flying around for power models/tugs doing aerobatics, test flying, running in, etc, as this gets confusing for the glider pilots and causes unnecessary extra noise that we do not need. Also if you arrive after the pilots briefing around 10am, DO NOT set up and fly until you have liaised with me when I become available (if I am towing). Although we all fly under Article 16 which makes it your responsibility to asses whether you and your model are fit to fly, (and we will be checking your BMFA/LMA membership) there are still site rules that need to be understood before you fly.

Please remember to set your sat nav to Cleobury Mortimer and then after arriving there, re-programme to Milson, to avoid several miles of single track road going direct, especially now that the hedges don't seem to get cut back anymore anywhere. BTW, there is a Garage with a decent Co-Op in Cleobury right by the turning for Milson.

From Cleobury Mortimer you take Tenbury Road for 3 miles until you get to a village sign with MILSON on it and also Max Speed 30 and a triangle with a parent and child shown. Then immediately there is a detached house with a large detached garage on the right, then a white cottage on the right then a row of terrace cottages on the right with the lane on the right just up the side, but beware it's not clearly in view as you approach (there's a signpost on the left pointing right to Coreley and Clee Hill). This all within 100yds. Take the narrow lane for half a mile and Milson airstrip comes up on your right with a aeroplane picture sign by the road after the low flying aircraft sign.

Lets hope the weather is good :)

Ray

Posted: 07 Jun 2022, 21:23
by simon_t
Thanks Ray. I hope to make this one, with tug and gliders, and I am planning to be there for Thursday evening.

Simon

Posted: 07 Jun 2022, 22:34
by Ray Watts
Cheers Simon. Great news :)

Posted: 08 Jun 2022, 13:15
by Bendywings
Will be there Thursday evening in the van then carry on by bike to the BnB, thanks for organising, Chris G

Posted: 09 Jun 2022, 11:42
by Ray Watts
One other thing for anyone who has not been to Milson before. The runway runs more or less North - South. If the wind is dead East or West and not fairly light, it may be that we cannot tow. It would be down to the pilots discretion, but for example a 15mph Westerly wouldn't work. Just advising for those who may be travelling from afar for a day trip.

Ray

Posted: 09 Jun 2022, 17:15
by Elliot Howells
15mph westerley? It would be such a shame to have to decamp to the mynd :)

Posted: 09 Jun 2022, 18:03
by simon_t
Just to emphasise Ray’s previous post regarding runway direction, this shows the runway (highlight). It runs SSE/NNW:
513BA7E4-B50C-4F23-861C-86E0839B560F.jpeg

Posted: 10 Jun 2022, 12:09
by timbo2720
It’s going to be my first Aerotow event . Looking forward to it. Many thanks for organising.
Tim

Posted: 18 Jun 2022, 18:27
by Ray Watts
Whose idea was this anyway

Posted: 20 Jun 2022, 08:30
by Robcrad
Had a great day yesterday, Thanks to Ray for the organizing the event and the tug pilots who make it happen.
See you at the next one

Rob

Posted: 20 Jun 2022, 13:52
by FrankS
Sunday was a lot better than Saturday, still not quite what we hope for in June, but here's a few photos

Posted: 22 Jun 2022, 11:07
by Ray Watts
Well, Friday turned out just how I said wouldn't be good at Milson, with 15 gusting 28mph westerly winds, so the take off was hairy, but the landing was scary, even though it was 30°c. Still, we did a bit flying. Should have made a decision at lunch time to go to the Mynd. Never mind. Saturday was a wash out, but we had a good natter. Sunday was mostly overcast but perfectly flyable, so the 16 participants had a pretty good time and were flown out by 4pm.

Chris Jones said there was £400 in the pot, so a massive thanks to you all for your contributions. We will add whatever we get in September to this and I will apply for the £250 matched funding from our company, so if September is nice weather, hopefully we can send another grand or more to the local Air ambulance trust as ALL of our proceeds go to charity.

Again thanks to all who came. Same place in September.

Ray and Mandy

Posted: 08 Sep 2022, 09:08
by Ray Watts
So, a week to go until the next Milson Airstrip aerotow on the 16th, 17th and 18th of September. I should hopefully be there by late Thursday afternoon if anyone is arriving on Thursday in readiness, and we have the Permit issued and the NOTAM is applied for, so that hopefully, we can tow on Friday if anyone wants to, and all weekend. Towing at the weekend usually starts around 10am after a briefing. If you intend on flying, please make sue you are there for the briefing as I do not intend stopping the towing so that I can go through it with individual people as and when they turn up late. Remember that under Article 16, it is your responsibility to make sure that you are complying with all the site rules and that you and your model are fit to fly. If you haven't been briefed then you cannot fly. Assuming the weather is good and all is going well, the NOTAM is for up to 7pm on each day.

Flying and camping is by a donation basis (you know what you would pay at other aerotows so please be generous) and all proceeds go to the local Air Ambulance Trust with a top up (hopefully) from the company that I work for up to £250 matched. Camping can be from Thursday afternoon until Monday and you can fly quiet models in the evening and also the morning before the towing starts. Please note there is no Elsan disposal on site, but there are 2 loos that you can use.

If you haven't been before then please see my note on page 1 on this thread re directions to and onwards from Cleobury Mortimer. This is imperative if you don't want to get your car resprayed afterwards due to scratches down the narrow lanes, though the last half a mile is also narrow.

Lets hope the weather is good and we'll see you there

Ray

Posted: 08 Sep 2022, 13:27
by simon_t
I plan to be there, hopefully arriving Thursday afternoon.

Simon

Posted: 15 Sep 2022, 08:20
by Ray Watts
The NOTAM went live yesterday for the weekend and the forecast looks favourable for the 3 days at the moment so Milson is set to go for the weekend. See you all there hopefully.
Ray

Posted: 15 Sep 2022, 08:28
by Antonia
We'll be there :) , see you tomorrow

Antonia and Mel

Posted: 15 Sep 2022, 22:05
by Chris Veitch
Hi

Looking forward to being there Sat and Sun

Chris

Posted: 17 Sep 2022, 22:32
by FrankS
Got back a little while ago from a great day today, thanks Ray and all the other tug pilots. Was a bit breezy yesterday (Friday) but today (Saturday) was perfect, the wind was just bout straight down the runway.

Also thanks to Chris for being such a great host too.

Posted: 18 Sep 2022, 09:42
by timbo2720
Brilliant day Saturday. Thanks so much to all the tug pilots and to Chris for making everyone so welcome. Thought the special flight for the Tiger Moth was worth a photo.
Tim

Posted: 19 Sep 2022, 18:19
by catwok
Thanks Ray and Simon for the towing at yet another great Milson meeting. A few mishaps throughout the weekend unfortunately, possibly down to the low level turbulence. And thanks again to Chris for being the perfect landlord and for the use of his chiminea for the rabble. 8-)

Posted: 21 Sep 2022, 19:20
by FrankS
Just to give you an idea of the turn out on Saturday, note well organised separate queues for Gliders and Tugs

Posted: 23 Sep 2022, 11:12
by Colin Hutchinson
Enjoyed the June meeting a lot.
Hope to get there next year, and be able to turn left out of the site, back to wider roads, (exciting turning right)!!!
Have repaired the wheel seat on the Nimbus and am ready for the next outing.
Thanks to Ray and Simon for the towing, and our very friendly host.
Colin

Posted: 23 Sep 2022, 12:01
by Ray Watts
Thanks to all who turned up over the 3 days (5 for campers). Chris Jones had once again done an amazing job preparing the site, and the runway was the widest it has ever been. When we decided to have the pilots box further down the runway, he even mowed another queue lane for the gliders for us, resulting in a tug pit lane and a glider queue lane which worked out perfect.

Apologies for the general lack of towing on the Friday due my Titan going US and it being a bit too windy for me to chance my Decathlon. The Saturday was an excellent day with around 35 attendees and flying all day. Sunday had around a dozen participants and was generally a relaxed affair. There were a couple of mishaps, but nothing serious, and yes, the glider has been retrieved from the tree now :D

A special thanks to Simon Thornton and Phil Huddleston for all the assistance over the whole weekend.

The contributions for this event get added to that of the June event and this year the total for the 2 events was just over £1000 so thank to you everyone for that. A £250 top up from the company that I work for Matched Funding up to £250 gets added to this, and ALL the proceeds from the 2 events go to the County Air Ambulance Trust, so this year they will receive just over £1250 from us

Hopefully we'll do it all again next year and I'll post the dates soon

Thank you again

Ray and Mandy

Posted: 23 Sep 2022, 17:42
by Cliff Evans
Well done to all for raising that good amount for the Air Ambulance.

Posted: 23 Sep 2022, 20:41
by simon_t
Great job Ray - a thoroughly enjoyable long weekend. And really gratifying that the donations to the Air Ambulance raised so much. I’m looking forward to next year already.

Simon

Posted: 25 Sep 2022, 14:44
by Elliot Howells
Superb!

Well done Ray and co, another great weekend with friends in the sun. Roll on 2023!

Ell.