• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Alsema Sagitta 1:4 scale

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Philkiteflyer

Re: Alsema Sagitta 1:4 scale

Post by Philkiteflyer »

Hi Brian, I didn't realise you were doing a three point slider, I tried to find drawings of the system but could only find those pics.
Pity you do the slider, its a bit of a feature - like the Foka forward sliding canopy - very sexy.
So I suppose you could do the side opening one like this . .
Sagitta Canopy-pivoting.JPG
Theres a few pics of this glider through its life and the canopy got changed a few times . . so plenty of choice.

Good luck for rest of build, hope it gets easier . .
Phillip C
"Keep it simple stupid"
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

the Sagitta canopy has changed during the production of the 21 built
I did fly the full scale in the 1970's in the Netherlands
This one had a three part canopy, a fixed front and rear section abd a sliding centre piece
you could slide the centre piece two or three steps backward during flight for more ventilation but at a cost of more noise.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Thanks to all the gentlemen who have provided options for me in the last few post.

The fate of the canopy has now been finally decided. The whole of the rear canopy section will be fully removable. The front will be located by two pins which will locate into brass tubes fixed into the rear of former #4. The rear of the canopy will be held in place by two 12mm button magnets in the rear of the cockpit opening and canopy frame. This will have the added advantage of giving me full access to the radio bay which sits behind former #5.

The whole front of the fuselage has now been given a skim-coat of upol filler and is now awaiting sanding back to a finished surface.

Brian :)
Attachments
Front of canopy frame showing possitioning pins.
Front of canopy frame showing possitioning pins.
Pin detail.
Pin detail.
Rear canopy frame in place.
Rear canopy frame in place.
Fuselage with skim coat of filler.
Fuselage with skim coat of filler.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Since the last post I have sanded back the filler skim coat on the fuselage till I arrived at a shape that I was happy with. I used two full tins of elbow grease in the process.

I am redecorating in the house at the moment but between coats of paint I managed half an hour to put 50gm/m2 glass cloth and epoxy on one side of the fuselage. I will get the second side glassed tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Brian. :)
Attachments
One side glassed!
One side glassed!
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

The fuselage is now fully covered with glass/epoxy although I have not sanded it back with wet & dry as yet. I will leave it a few weeks to become fully crisp. :)
However I have now created the wheel fairing attached to the bottom of the fuselage. As you can see from the image below it is a 1/32 ply and balsa affair constructed round the alloy wheel mounts. This will also get a glass/epoxy coat in due course. :)
This afternoon I have made a start on the wing construction by scarfe joining the spruce spar material. :)
Brian. :) :) :)
Attachments
The wheel fairing.
The wheel fairing.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I spent the afternoon producing a short kit for the wings of the Sagitta. The spars are manufactured from 1/2in x1/4 in spruce stock which I have tapered out to 1/4in x 1/8in at the wing tips.
In the image below you will see that I have produced the spars, sub spars, false leading edges, trailing edges, wing joiners and wing ribs. All now ready to go!
Attachments
The makings of the wings.
The makings of the wings.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Work started on the left wing this afternoon. With all the ribs glued in place to the bottom tapered spar. The joiner box was then epoxy glued to the spar and squared up in all three dimensions. On this occasion I did remember to drill the holes in the wing ribs for wiring before they were fixed in place. So far, so good!
Attachments
Start of left wing construction.
Start of left wing construction.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Progress on the wings has been a bit slow this week as I have flown three times in the last week as well as working on my garden.

I took a lot of time installing the wing incidence peg as it has to be totally in line with the main joiner. It is now in place and secured solidly.
The other spars, sub spar and webbing are now glued in place and trimmed. The electric air brake has also been installed along with the aileron servo wiring.

Attachments
Wing incidence peg.
Wing incidence peg.
Left wing progressing - slowly!
Left wing progressing - slowly!
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

The top wing sheeting is now in place as well as all the cap strips on the exposed ribs at the trailing edge. The bottom sheeting will possibly go on this afternoon.
Attachments
Top Sheeting in place.
Top Sheeting in place.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Looks fab Brian. Tidy work.