• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Mike Trew 1/5 ASW-17

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
NSWanderer

Mike Trew 1/5 ASW-17

Post by NSWanderer »

Has anybody built one?
It's a very nicely drawn 'old-school' plan, with fully built-up fuzz and wings, complete with complex aileron, spoiler & flap systems - no in-wing servos in those days. I've always thought the -17 is just so elegant.
Information on this design seems to be quite scarce, pictures even more so... I've had the plan and canopy for over 20 years and am considering whether to finally get on with it, suitably updated, or maybe build something more 'stately' (1/5 Petrel, perhaps?) for my first plan-built scalie. Any input welcomed.
Cliff Evans

Re: Mike Trew 1/5 ASW-17

Post by Cliff Evans »

I would personally say that the 17 would not be a good first model for you. Something like the Petrel or any of Chris's other designs would be a good start for the simple reason that the builds are well documented on here by Chris, and he is always willing to advise and help. Just my opinion.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

I built the Mike Trew 1/5 scale Fauvette a few years ago & probably wouldn’t recommend it as a 1st scale build project.
Not sure if the ASW17 is of the same ilk, but the Fauvette had a scale type wing section & the ribs needed to be made using the “sandwich” technique. I seem the recall that I changed the wing to a more modern build type rather than have wing servos in the fuselage.
Personally, I would go for a more modern design model with wing mounted servos etc. & even a short kit available if possible, as this will make an accurate build much easier.

The “17” looks very nice, although I have only seen the 1/4 scale Pat Teakle model. Note that the Chris Williams designs tend to use an HQ win section which fly well without the added complexity of building in any physical wing washout.
Peter
NSWanderer

Post by NSWanderer »

Thank you both.
I certainly would do the -17 with in-wing servos, were i to choose that route, as well as a more modern wing joiner system.
Very useful point re the washout, Peter!
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

It may be that the wing can be re-designed using the HQ section.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
NSWanderer

Post by NSWanderer »

Not a bad idea at all, Cliff, and it shouldn't be too difficult to generate the required tapering rib sizes once I have a digital version of the chosen profile/s.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

You can print individual ribs to your chosen chord using Airfoil tools, otherwise you can probably print one, scan & scale as required if you do not have a tool such as Profili.
Tools such as DevWing can be used to design the complete wing panel based on your wing planform & also put in all spar/joiner notches etc. in the rib templates.
http://airfoiltools.com/plotter/index? ... =hq3512-il

Note that the HQ section will probably give a thinner section at the brake position, so the plan brake design will not fit/need redesign to suit.
The aileron/flap hinge area will also need tweaking due to the change in section.
Peter
NSWanderer

Post by NSWanderer »

Very useful sites, amazing what is available. Thank you, Peter.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

I’ve managed to get hold of a copy of the MT ASW17 plan, so will have a look later.
I can probably rustle up a modernised version of the original wing plan(probably also changing fuselage root rib to match) complete with laser cutting templates in a couple of weeks in between other things.
I can look at the HQ profiles & see what looks good, but would have thought an HQ3.0 or 3.5 would be a reasonable bet.
Peter
NSWanderer

Post by NSWanderer »

Peter, I seem to have started something...!

I'm haven't yet decided to proceed with the ASW immediately, but it certainly would be interesting to compare your proposed changes to the wings with what I have in mind.
Regarding the wing section I agree (no expert, mind) that the HQ 3,0 or 3,5 series would probably be a great choice, given similar designs it's been used in over the years. Anywhere from about 9% to 14% thickness could probably suit, for my type of use (non-competitive).

Cheers,
NSW