Page 1 of 1

Sherlowe Aerotow dates 2022

Posted: 31 Jan 2022, 10:30
by SP250
As usual it has been a task to try and fit 2 weekends in amongst the plethora of other dates and my other commitments so as they don't clash with Milson or Buckminster aeotows, Cosford or Weston Park LMA events etc.
I wanted to try and get one at each end of the season after discussion with some other regulars.
So the two events now confirmed for 2022 are:-
April 30th and May 1st for the first one.
August 13th &14th for the second.

The usual applies in terms of the direction of approach (must be from the High Ercall side), arriving on the Friday and camping, motorhomes and caravans all ok.
Hangar for overnight model storage, plus kitchen and flushing toilet facilities all on site.
Contact me beforehand with which day you are coming and your BMFA number so I can keep a register that everyone is insured.
Email j.minchell@btinternet.com

See you later in the year.

John M

Re: Sherlowe Aerotow dates 2022

Posted: 01 Feb 2022, 15:42
by catwok
Looking forward to it John....

Posted: 01 Feb 2022, 19:31
by B Sharp
Hope to be there John.
Brian. :)

Posted: 03 Feb 2022, 19:40
by Elliot Howells
Brilliant! thanks John, definitely have at least 2 tugs for these :)

Ell.

Posted: 15 Apr 2022, 14:38
by SP250
Gents (and Lady)

Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control the first date at Sherlowe is going to have to be postponed.
Bob & Gill Pooler the owners of Sherlowe advised it would not be possible to hold our event.
I realise that some people will have booked accomodation and moved other commitments around, but at least we have a couple of weeks notice of it and it is not last minute.
The good news is we have secured an alternative date four weeks later on May 28th and 29th.
The second event on August 13th & 14th remains ok.
I hope many of you will still be able to make the revised date.

Paul will put a whats app message out for those on that group.

Regards John

Posted: 15 Apr 2022, 15:25
by JamesH
😔😔😔😔

Posted: 15 Apr 2022, 17:34
by RobbieB
Real shame John but at least we can go to Clwyd now.

Done those spars yet?

Posted: 16 Apr 2022, 15:52
by SP250
Calendar page is down showing 404 error at the moment.
Cliff can you ammend the date please once you fix it, as your email is also non deliverable.
Cheers John

Posted: 16 Apr 2022, 16:07
by B Sharp
That's a bit of a b****r, I was really looking forward to it as a welcome relief from daffodil shows for the last five weekends.
Luckily I have managed to cancel my accommodation without losing any money and I am still booked for the 13/14 August. See you then.
Brian.

Posted: 16 Apr 2022, 17:38
by Cliff Evans
SP250 wrote: ↑16 Apr 2022, 15:52 Calendar page is down showing 404 error at the moment.
Cliff can you ammend the date please once you fix it, as your email is also non deliverable.
Cheers John
Done. Shame it is on these dates now, will be at Sandhays.

Posted: 17 Apr 2022, 08:11
by FrankS
Another few weeks to polish the gliders then, hope you've rescheduled the thermals, see you end of May.

Posted: 18 Apr 2022, 08:54
by Antonia
Thanks for the ‘head’s up’, accommodation cancelled and rebooked for the for the end of May. See you all soon :)
Mel and Antonia

Posted: 29 May 2022, 14:55
by RobbieB
Great day at Sherlowe yesterday, super weather and great company yet again.

A big thank you to John for organising and the tuggies for all their hard work.

A few pics from the day:

Posted: 30 May 2022, 17:58
by Cliff Evans
Thanks to all who attended to make it a great days flying and especially the hard working tug pilots Ray, Phil, Elliot.

Superb weather on Saturday, sun and light breeze for the 26 glider pilots. 

Drizzle and proper rain on Sunday morning, but then a superb sunny dry and 5mph afternoon after most had packed up and gone home. 

Phil Huddleston staying up for his usual 1hour+ flights!

We raised £340 (which Bob and Gill double up) for the local children's hospice and the air ambulance charities.

Looking forward to Milson in 3 weeks and the next Sherlowe on August 13th & 14th.

Cheers John M

Posted: 31 May 2022, 17:19
by ScaleMeDown
Hi, just editing a YouTube video of this aerotow meeting, and trying to get hold of Chris (with his 10.7m Ash35 with pop up motor) to get a copy of his gopro footage from this meeting. Does anyone know which username he is on here ? If anyone else has any footage you are happy for us to include, please get in touch

Matt & Gwen

Posted: 31 May 2022, 19:26
by Barry_Cole
I will try and put him in touch with you.

BC

Posted: 31 May 2022, 19:33
by Bendywings
Matt,
I just rejoined Dropbox and am uploading 24Gb of 4K video... Will send it to you this evening.
Chris 'Bendywings'. (True for the ASH25 and also because I flew the 707 which was a very flexible aircraft, to which Boeing said 'What bends doesn't snap'...!)

Posted: 01 Jun 2022, 09:26
by Martin Gough
Put a video of my Gheppio on a tow on youtube from last Saturday.

Posted: 04 Jun 2022, 17:41
by ScaleMeDown

Video from last Saturday- enjoy! Thanks to all who contributed sections of film, Matthew and Gwen

Posted: 05 Jun 2022, 17:27
by Pat Marsden
Would like to come along on the 13th/14th August with a tug if you need another tug pilot. Got a DLE111 powered SDD Greenley so capable of towing pretty much anything

Posted: 13 Jun 2022, 10:38
by sp250
Pat you will be more than welcome. Tugs often go U/S so the more the merrier.
Email me your BMFA number please, j.minchell@btinternet.com

Google "Sherlowe Airstrip" for your sat nav directions.
Please note the direction of approach as it MUST be from High Ercall village and NOT the B5063 Cotwall Road from the back of Telford.
Due to that being a private road with lockable gates and too narrow to turn around in especially if you are towing a caravan or in a motorhome.
Oh and the farmer usually wanders about with his 12 bore shotgun ...........................
If you come this way, go past the left into Sherlowe lane and carry on doing 3 lefts into High Ercall and approach Sherlowe Lane from the other (western) end.

Posted: 06 Aug 2022, 10:21
by sp250
One week to go till the second Sherlowe Aero Tow 13th & 14th August.
Please drop me an email with your BMFA number if you plan on attending. j.minchell (at) btinternnet.com

£10 per day to the charity box to fly gliders.
Tuggies - I can cover the tug fuel expenses if you give me a petrol receipt as the event is a North West Area BMFA sponsored one.
Camping from Friday till Sunday night free, motorhome, caravan or tent. There is no chemical toilet waste disposal.
On site ladies and gents toilets and a kitchen with 240 volts to re charge batteries or boil a kettle.
Full size hangar to store models overnight.

Please ensure you approach the airstrip from the west (through High Ercall, NOT the B5063 Cotwall Road (Telford) east side.
Just putting in the order for clear skies and thermals now.
Forecast 30+ degrees so don't forget the factor 50, your sun glasses & hat!

John M

Posted: 12 Aug 2022, 15:03
by Pat Marsden
Had forgotten I had offered my towing service for the weekend and was reminded by a friend. Unfortunately as I am very fair skinned/borderline ginger I cant take to much heat/sun before bursting into flames so wont be coming. I do hope those attending slap on the factor 50 and wear big floppy hats so in keeping with the glider pilot look :D

Posted: 12 Aug 2022, 17:20
by Cliff Evans
Pat Marsden wrote: ↑12 Aug 2022, 15:03 Had forgotten I had offered my towing service for the weekend and was reminded by a friend. Unfortunately as I am very fair skinned/borderline ginger I cant take to much heat/sun before bursting into flames so wont be coming. I do hope those attending slap on the factor 50 and wear big floppy hats so in keeping with the glider pilot look :D
BORDERLINE!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: 13 Aug 2022, 17:45
by Pat Marsden
Cliff Evans wrote: ↑12 Aug 2022, 17:20
Pat Marsden wrote: ↑12 Aug 2022, 15:03 Had forgotten I had offered my towing service for the weekend and was reminded by a friend. Unfortunately as I am very fair skinned/borderline ginger I cant take to much heat/sun before bursting into flames so wont be coming. I do hope those attending slap on the factor 50 and wear big floppy hats so in keeping with the glider pilot look :D
BORDERLINE!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As I still have hair it is quite clear that i am not a ginger :D :D

Posted: 13 Aug 2022, 21:17
by Mark Wilcockson
My first visit today to Sherlowe and won’t be my last. Some enjoyable flying but it was HOT

Thanks for organising John. Much appreciated

Posted: 14 Aug 2022, 16:29
by Anthony
B•gger……..took a glider and it turned into a boat.

Ran into sink in two different ways on approach. lol

Thanks to John and the tugs for an almost perfect day. :D

Posted: 15 Aug 2022, 08:52
by sp250
Thanks to all who attended despite the really hot temperatures.
Sunday was a bit more comfortable than the Saturday, but still blistering for England in August. Buckets of water in the pilots box for putting out any wildfire, but people seemed to think they were for soaking a towel or hat in and washing/cooling your feet - hey ho!
We had 6 tugs in attendance, but with the attrition were down to one by 3.00pm Sunday. So a big shout out to Ray Watts, James Wilcockson, Phil Pearson, Richard Barley and Elliot Howells. Thank you, the event could not happen without you and I hope the repairs are not too difficult.

Good to see some new faces who had not been before, look forward to seeing you again next time.
We raised £445, which Bob and Gill Pooler will double, for the two charities - the local children's hospice and the Midlands air ambulance.
Well done everyone.

John M

Posted: 16 Aug 2022, 09:11
by timbo2720
My second Aerotow meet so still learning and had a great time despite the heat.
Just a huge thanks to all that make these events possible , especially the tug pilots who do such a great job despite the occasional mishap.

Tim

Posted: 23 Sep 2022, 11:26
by Colin Hutchinson
Yes an excellent weekend, with crop fires to welcome the visitor, very hot weather and lots of thermals.
Thanks to Phil for putting out the buckets of water to cool the feet, hats, etc, and to the towing crew, and our friendly hosts.
Will definitely be attending next year if the calendar allows.
Colin