• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Wood bending

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Mark Edwards

Wood bending

Post by Mark Edwards »

Hello All,
I was watching a guitar building video on youtube and came upon this inexpensive DIY luthiers bending iron and decided to knock one up for bending spars and longerons for my glider builds.
Looks like a good alternative to steaming!
The base and electrical enclosure will be made from some scraps of ply wood. The heater cartridge will be mounted inside a 300mm X 50mm Dia. St.St. tube packed tightly with aluminium foil and mounted on M10 studding.

Still early days but have started accumulating the parts.-

Temperature controller, Solid state relay and thermocouple (£15 from amazon)
8x200mm 220V 500W Stainless Steel Tube Heating Cartridge (£5 from ebay)
Capture#4.JPG
Sketch of unit with back removed.
Bending Iron Parts..JPG
Will post my results as soon as I have completed the project.

Mark
IanT-White

Re: Wood bending

Post by IanT-White »

My Yorkshire ( fear of spending ) solution was to use an existing Wickes steam wall paper remover and a pipe ( to take the wood ) plus a home made adapter for the steam hose which works well for zero cost
Nigel Argall

Re: Wood bending

Post by Nigel Argall »

Ian, i put something up about this a couple of years ago (Ithink) - I'm not sure hoiw to search on this forum. For small wood (say 1/8 x 1/4 spruce), you can just wet the wood and use the end of an electric paint stripper gun ((bend it over the metal 'snout'), but... for the sort of timber I'd imagine you using, I think you need the proper kit as you have described - wet wood of course cools the hot material so its a bit like a thick pan, I think you need a bit of substance and a lot of heat. I will be really interetsed to see how this goes.