• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Takeoff dolly for model with struts

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Adam C

Takeoff dolly for model with struts

Post by Adam C »

As the title suggests, anyone made a design that can incorporate models with struts?

Ive tried and failed miserably. I can only think of a form of supporting tow dolly as used on full sized that cradles the skid. It needs to allow good prop clearance.

Any help appreciated.
Chris Veitch

Re: Takeoff dolly for model with struts

Post by Chris Veitch »

I think you are correct with the plan to support the fuselage. You need to be able to stop it rolling side to side excessively and the need for this depends on the smoothness to the take off surface. Therefore either extend the base support to also support the sides of the fuselage, with a little gap, to prevent excess movement or perhaps build an angled support that the lower pat of the strut could sit on. I guess this would need to be detachable to be able to get the model and dolly into the car.

Regards
Chris
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Why not make a simple plug in 2 wheel dolly of the type fitted to many vintage gliders that drops off after takeoff. My Wien has a scale type drop off dolly that fits into a tube in the bottom of the fuz, through the skid. Experience has shown that the pin on the dolly does not want to be too tight a fit in the tube in the model.
20220410_074428[1].jpg
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Arthur Fielding

Post by Arthur Fielding »

Hi
I might be able to help you with your glider launch problem,but the system i devised requires the glider to have a centrel wheel in the fus,or it will not work.
Just checking before i start
Reguards
Arthur.