• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Schleicher ASK-11 (126")

Let us all watch your new project progress.
robert-woolley

Schleicher ASK-11 (126")

Post by robert-woolley »

My Chris Williams K11 kit from Sarik will be arriving by DHL sometime tomorrow and I am very much looking forward starting the build.
robert-woolley

Re: Schleicher ASK-11 (126")

Post by robert-woolley »

After a long build period and waiting for suitable conditions for a maiden flight, the ASK-11 has eventually, this weekend, had some successful flights. The initial taxi trials and maiden were a bit 'challenging' but after adding some more nose weight and some minor trimming, the glider flies well. I was a little concerned about the uneven surface at our Little Haldon site but the ASK-11 has ample power to get off the ground quickly and up to a decent height where it continued on up in a thermal with no power. The craft seemed very stable considering less than perfect gusty winds, and it needed some encouragement to come back down to land. However, the air brakes with some crow were effective. After a 15 min flight, there was still over 85% battery capacity left.
I only made 2 changes to plan. I sheeted the whole underside to aid handling and to give a bit more protection should / when the craft lands in the gorse. I also hinged the wing wheels to fold back in case of catching a tuft of grass. AUW is just under10Lb (1Lb over plan) mainly due to the additional lead needed to move the cog forward. Overall I am very pleased with the ASK-11
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-05 at 22.51.47.jpg
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Well done, Robert... 8-)
Philkiteflyer

Post by Philkiteflyer »

Nice one Robert, I just took delivery of Chris's 1/3 scale K11 plan - about 2 trees worth of paper.

Chris - did you ever do a build log for it? I can't find anything.

Phillip C
New Zealand.
(Rudolf Kaiser fan)
"Keep it simple stupid"
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Remind me of your email, Phil, and I'll send all the stuff...?

cw
Philkiteflyer

Post by Philkiteflyer »

chris williams wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 08:48 Remind me of your email, Phil, and I'll send all the stuff...?

cw
PM sent. 8-)
"Keep it simple stupid"
Philkiteflyer

Post by Philkiteflyer »

chris williams wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 08:48 Remind me of your email, Phil, and I'll send all the stuff...?

cw
Thanks Chris, great pics and build log will be very helpful. First investigation will be power system, since I don't have a "4-max' locally . . :D :D it'll have to be an 'imported' motor (my favourite brand at the moment is Aeolian - I have a few of them) but I don't think they have this large size - best is 5055 but only 6s 1420W so is too small. This will be my first 10S power, currently using 6S on my telemaster and its scary powerful.
So your system (ruff calc) =2886W max input. So I will have to try and match that.

Sorry Robert if I'm highjacking your thread, I can start another one if you'd rather keep this one for the 1/4 scale version?

Cheers all
Phillip C
Southland
New Zealand
"Keep it simple stupid"