• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

a Pilatus B4 Build aventure

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Vorkosigan

a Pilatus B4 Build aventure

Post by Vorkosigan »

Hello everyone,
It has started during covid, when, after 20years of epoxy and polystyrene glider build, I had enough time to come back to classic and scratch build. I had not able to forget my first build in 1976. The result, 2 winter later is a Heron from Hangaronekit (https://hangaronekits.com/products/heron-152-glider) made it's maiden flight.

But you know what, "not big enough my sun...". The B4 was in my mind since 10 years and LCS had a short kit of the right size.

Q: Hello Cliff, could I get a kit.
R: you bet!

Summer was dedicated to flying in the Alps, while the laser was working hard. A few weeks later, the magnificent green coroplast box arrives and the French Post had neither destroyed it, lost it or pretended they had no clue who I was ... :-)

Here we are , back home and ready for unpacking, just a few days ago, and as I had promised Cliff to document the build.

First key question , I need a longer workshop table, as I will most probably choose to build wings in one piece
( "honney, we should think of a new car.. Heu, let's say a longer car. What? what do you mean by "why"... )
I'll let you know in a few month how that conversation has unfolded

As I could not resist opening a few bags and take a look at the Stabilizer drawing. See the first picture

NB: To close this post, a big thank you to both Cliff for the quality of the short kit and Jilles Smits for the great design. I will probably have a few questions!
Attachments
IMG_1240.jpeg
IMG_1263.jpeg
Max Wright

Re: a Pilatus B4 Build aventure

Post by Max Wright »

Hi All

After months of silence, I received notification of this build thread.

Looking forward to reading more as you go.

Power to your elbow!

Cheers
Max
Vorkosigan

Post by Vorkosigan »

Hello
First decision to make, will the wing be in one piece? yes, let's make it simple and light. I'll deal with Madam and the care later :lol:
Immediate consequence, Damned, my workshop is too small. I need a 2,6m one. A few question to Eric, (Nickname "Build master"), 15mm plywood , a loooong ruler, a few screws, a lot of glue.
A design point? less that 1mm flatness defect on the entire length. Done!

As the weather tells me that I won't be able to have much outdoor activities for a few month, let's have a look at the build sequence. Again, perfect laser cut. once on the workshop, the extrados alignment is perfect. Thanks Cliff.

Spar plices have been cut and glued w expoxy, final alignment check. let's get a few hundred nails...

Glueing during the WE.

nb: pls forgive typos, English is not my native language.

IMG_1483.jpeg
Last edited by Vorkosigan on 29 Sep 2022, 12:26, edited 3 times in total.
Vorkosigan

Post by Vorkosigan »

IMG_1264 2.jpeg
Workshop buildview
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

That's a very nice workshop 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Vorkosigan

Post by Vorkosigan »

Hello everyone, it's time to post news

The left wing has progressed, and is almost ready to be covered with 0.4mm plywood. The construction did not pose any particular problems. The developable structure will help the installation of the formwork.

I built in one piece for simplicity and lightness, and I haven't told Mrs yet that the trailer will have to be changed!

I chose to replace the aero-brakes with the moderate double blade from Shambek. Even if the plan design is perfect, I was afraid that it would take too long.

The rabbet of the trailing edge is complicated to implement and I would like to know if not putting a carbon strip is a risk in terms of solidity. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

I offer you a view of some details of the construction of the wing as well as the placement of the rudder ribs. Using a laser greatly helps with alignment

I'm racking my brains to find a good solution to put the formwork under pressure and stop the plywood sheet on the leading edge. call again for your advice on this matter

Sincerely.
Attachments
IMG_1514.jpeg
IMG_1530.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_1532.jpeg
IMG_1533.jpeg
IMG_1570.jpeg
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Looking good there. Carbon toes as part of the trailing edge is probably a good idea. As for the leading edge, you could fill between the ribs with foam as Jilles did with his ASW-15. But just the d-box. See attached pdf.

FOAM-INSTRUCTION.pdf
(419.88 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Vorkosigan

Post by Vorkosigan »

Very usefull, thanks Cliff
Vorkosigan

Post by Vorkosigan »

Hello Cliff,
The finished B4 would be arround 7kg, right?

I also could start the build of the Fuselage. Once glued on the custom build surface, all parts are aligned with a laser. the short kit parts fit perfectly together. A very light sanding trims the parts for an effortless mounting.

Best and Merry X-Mass to all.
Attachments
IMG_1746 Large.jpeg
IMG_1747 Large.jpeg
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

7 - 9 kg should be about right, Having said that, I don't think it would matter too much if it were a little more than that.

Merry Xmas.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk