• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Milson Aerotows 2023

Ray Watts

Milson Aerotows 2023

Post by Ray Watts »

I have confirmed dates with Chris Jones for the 2 weekends in 2023 for the Milson aerotows as being the same as 2022. Therefore they will be 3 day meetings from Friday to Sunday as normal on the dates of June 16th to 18th and September 15th to 17th.

Camping is available from Thursday afternoon through to Monday for anyone who wants to stay, but bear in mind there is no elsan disposal so you will probably be needing to use one of the 2 available onsite loos.

Payment is on a donation basis with all the money going to the County Air Ambulance Trust, and in 2022 we raised in excess of £1,300 so let's see if we can match or exceed that in 2023. One call out for an air ambulance is currently roughly £2,250 and they may do that several times a day, so they need all the money they can get

I will post any updates nearer the time.

Cheers

Ray
It's always calmer indoors :D
Anthony

Re: Milson Aerotows 2023

Post by Anthony »

Excellent Ray, dates noted.
Roger-Spragg

Post by Roger-Spragg »

Thanks for the early notice Ray. In my diary!
Roger
catwok

Post by catwok »

Looking forward to it already Ray 8-)
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

You're a star Ray! xx
Bendywings

Post by Bendywings »

Thanks Ray! Link to a video of my landing erlier this year:

Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

Excellent, cheers for that Chris. Great views.
Ray
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

After the great turnout at Sherlowe last weekend we are now looking forward to the next one in the Calendar at Milson over the 3 days of Friday 16th of June through to Sunday 19th of June 2023. The NOTAM has been applied for, for all 3 days, and weather (and reliability) permitting, we are hoping to tow all 3 days. Please bare in mind if you have not been there before that the runway runs more or less North - South and there is a hedge off to one side of the runway, so if the wind is dead East or West and over say 12mph, then it is unlikely that we will be able to tow. This has only happened a couple of times before, but you cannot change the weather. You are welcome to bring something smaller and quiet to fly in the evening from the runway when the towing has finished, or in the morning before we get going, but only Aerotow or self launch gliders during the day.

This is an event for under 25kg models only, and only for BMFA members. The Site permit is issued by the BMFA and states that you need to be a member to operate under that permit, and the NOTAM is related to that Permit. I do not apply for LMA cover for any over 25kg models. So max 25kg or you will be operating without insurance.

For anyone wanting to camp, I hope to be there from mid afternoon on the Thursday, so you can arrive any time from say 4pm on the Thursday, as I need to be there to tell you where to camp. I intend to stay over until Monday morning so feel free to do the same. There is water available and there are 2 toilets that you can use, BUT (!) there is no Elsan disposal on site, and of course, there is no electric hook up.

Payment is by voluntary contribution on a daily basis for both flying and camping, and if you do not intend to contribute, then please do not come. All proceeds will go to the local Air Ambulance Trust as per the site owner Chris Jones wish, and we have raised good sums of money for them in the past.

Chris has told me that he has paid out to have the drive resurfaced with 270 tonnes of Tarmac, so the drive is now smoother and more grippy, but please (I ask you), do not use it as a race track and drive respectfully on his private land.

I will aim to do the Pilots briefing at around 10am. You need to be there for that in order to fly. If you are not at the briefing in time, then when you arrive, you will need to be briefed personally by me, and if I am flying, you will have to wait till I am ready, so please be there for 10am.

I will follow this up with directions so that it can be printed out separately if required. Please follow them rather than using the single track roads in the area, but remember, Chris had 270 tonnes of Tarmac delivered, and they got there alright :lol:

See you there

Ray
Last edited by Ray Watts on 30 May 2023, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

Please remember to set your sat nav to Cleobury Mortimer and then after arriving there, re-programme to Milson, to avoid several miles of single track road going direct, especially now that the hedges don't seem to get cut back anymore anywhere. BTW, there is a Garage with a decent Co-Op in Cleobury right by the turning for Milson.

From Cleobury Mortimer you take Tenbury Road for 3 miles until you get to a village sign with MILSON on it and also Max Speed 30 and a triangle with a parent and child shown. Then immediately there is a detached house with a large detached garage on the right, then a white cottage on the right then a row of terrace cottages on the right with the lane on the right just up the side, but beware it's not clearly in view as you approach (there's a signpost on the left pointing right to Coreley and Clee Hill). This all within 100yds. Take the narrow lane for half a mile and Milson airstrip comes up on your right with a aeroplane picture sign by the road after the low flying aircraft sign.
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

Only a few days now to next weekend's June Milson aerotow on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Long range forecast looks favourable (though those things can change). Hope to see you there sometime over the weekend, but remember to pack the sun screen 🙂🥵
Ray