• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Grunau Baby and Motor Baby

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Paul_Williams

Grunau Baby and Motor Baby

Post by Paul_Williams »

I was looking through the documents section on the Grunau Baby and realised that some of the core data originates with stuff written in the Vintage Glider Club newsletters back in the 1970's. In connection with my research into the markings of German gliders, I have also been looking at production numbers, as the two subjects are interlinked.

In reality, the production numbers we know (for the GB and others) do not come from factory records. They come from records of how many were accepted by the NSFK and or Luftwaffe - and those records have huge gaps. Other figures come from the Lieferplan - the official production plans for ALL aircraft and gliders. As the war progressed, the Lieferplan were revised more and more frequently, so it cannot be assumed that the proposed numbers were actually built. Unfortunately, the glider portion of many Lieferplan are yet to be discovered.
On the upside, the Lieferplan do give total of how many of each type had been built to date (usually a month or two before the Lieferplans date).

Whilst we can say that 4104 Grunau Babys had been delivered between late 1940 and 30.11.1944 , production was schedule to continue at a rate of 50 per month.
The final figure will depend on when the factories were overrun or when the supply of materials collapsed.

As regards the Motor Baby, it is now known that twenty were built, although small differences existed between them. A few close copies seem to have been built by other companies.

At this point I can't comment on the statement that 700 Grunau Babys were built pre-war but this is quite possible. There were also a very significant number that were homebuilt in Germany.

Undoubtedly the prize for the sailplane built in the greatest numbers up to 1945 goes to the Grunau Baby.
As regards gliders the clear winner is the SG.38 with 8745 - a truly incredible number.

Paul