• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Wing joiner location

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
chris williams

Re: Wing joiner location

Post by chris williams »

My Bergfalke 4 weighs 13lbs and flies with a single 15mm joiner, which is 485mm in length. Later versions were fitted with an extra 12mm joiner half the length of the original to avoid a slight tendency for joiner flex when filmed from an on-board camera... The same principle applies to all my other designs...
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Be careful you do not make it too light! The performance will suffer
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
AdamChambers

Post by AdamChambers »

Chris,

Is the joiner sat between the spars simply because its convenient and easier or is the location more complex than that?

Although I respect the idea of blade joiners, they are rare in many modern designs that use tubes or carbon square section.
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Joiners, round, blade or any other shape need to be able to transfer the load effectivly to the wing structure. Trapping the main joiner between the spars is the easiest and lightest way to do this.
If the joiner is not between the top and bottom spars then heavy thick ribs will have to be used to transfer the load from the joiners to the spars and the load path is not straight so putting unnecessary stresses in the wings. A stronger (heavier) structure will be needed to counter these stresses.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
AdamChambers

Post by AdamChambers »

John,

Thanks. Im may end up adding weight Im trying to save.

Adam