• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Wing joiner location

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
AdamChambers

Wing joiner location

Post by AdamChambers »

Im converting a design from flat steels to round tube .

The design in question, a airspeed tern has flat steels in between the front and rear spars. Its over engineered and heavy as a result.

Can I locate an alternative single round joiner tube arrangement central in the wing? I will provide suitable reinforcement, although the ribs in question are ply and have incidence pegs.

Should I be placing the joiner over the centre of pressure /cg?
chris williams

Re: Wing joiner location

Post by chris williams »

Adam, there was 3.5 scale Petrel at the last WS scale meet which had a moderately heavy landing on the front of the slope. It had been modified from flat steel to a round joiner. The joiner stayed where it was, while wing re-modified itself around the joiner, resulting in a really difficult-looking repair.
A flat steel joiner would have simply bent forwards, allowing the the rubber bands to do their work. How do I know this? I've had more heavy slopeside landing with my various Petrels than I care to talk about...!
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

I really would not change the joiner. You do not need to " save waight" the model is proven as it is. Chris's description is very accurate.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
AdamChambers

Post by AdamChambers »

Cliff,

It is mighty heavy . Formers alone are 1kg. Massively over engineered . Ive recut lighter ones .

Both blades are 750mm long and again add a lot of weight.

Barry who built one on here recommended it needs lightening after flying it.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

AdamChambers wrote: 21 Aug 2023, 20:49 Im converting a design from flat steels to round tube .
Don't do it........

BC

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

What span is the model, and the projected all-up-weight...?
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I'm all in favour of a bit of weight saving but I'd leave the joiners alone and focus on the rear end. Generally the rear fuselage formers are a good target, and I tend to go for balsa skins rather than ply. Tailplane joiner wires often seem rather on the heavy side, unless you are contemplating high speed, high g aerobatics of course.

Each to his own, I suppose,

Trevor
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

There is nothing wrong with the weight of the Tern. The models that have been built fly well. I think they have all turned out at around 11-12 lb which is not bad and about average for a 1/4 scale model with a span of 4mtr.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Next question: which depth of blade; 12mm or 15mm...?
AdamChambers

Post by AdamChambers »

Weight saving operation has already commenced . 5kg is the target , 1 kg below barrys build.

Overall the drafting quality is a 4/10 when it comes to the formers. Ill end commentary there as this isnt the reason for my query.

Chris, 4m span , taper wing . 15mm steel and brass blades x 2.

The rear spar is on the centre of pressure so maybe a tube can go there instead of a blade with a short blade up front ? Barry friend did the opposite way round and seems to be happy with it.