• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Retract damper rate advice

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
Chris Veitch

Retract damper rate advice

Post by Chris Veitch »

HI all

I an changing retract to have a damper but due to it being a retro fit I want to opt for a damper on the rear of the retract operating vertically rather than the usual front arrangement.

The glider is a 5m dg600 7/8kg weight

The question is what rate to have 5/10/15/20/30/40kg. Not my strong suit this so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Chris
Antonia

Re: Retract damper rate advice

Post by Antonia »

Hello Chris,

I did the same modification to the retract on my 1/4 scale DG 303 which came in at 5.6 Kg, the gas strut I used was pressurised to 70N which seems to work well. I got the strut from SGS Engineering Ltd http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-stru ... 6-15-20-60
I suspect 90-110 N would be about right, if you start low they can re-gas to a higher pressure, but it would be best to double check with them before ordering. As a design note I added a rubber grommet on the shaft to act as a bump stop should the full stroke of the cylinder be reached so as not the damage the internal piston.

I've attached a few photos for reference, hope this helps.

Antonia
Attachments
P1212304.JPG
P2202351.JPG
Chris Veitch

Re: Retract damper rate advice

Post by Chris Veitch »

Thanks Antonia I will go for 100N

Regards

Chris