• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Schleicher ka-4 Rhonlerche

Let us all watch your new project progress.
GlynM

Schleicher ka-4 Rhonlerche

Post by GlynM »

Hi there , I thought I’d add this prize purchase off eBay recently, looked great in the pics and local to me in Warwick, fibreglass fuselage, built up wings and tail .
If there ever was a prize for buying an expensive German kit of a 1/4 sailplane and building it blindfolded in ten minutes - then this builder won it!
Turns out the wings are scrap and it needs a canopy -which I knew about.
I’m currently dismantling the wings so I can profile the ribs and rebuild.
If anyone can shed any light on the wing attachment to the fuselage area that would help a boatload!
Love a challenge!
Cheers all
Jolly Roger

Re: Schleicher ka-4 Rhonlerche

Post by Jolly Roger »

Oh what a pity it’s been badly built. At least there’s still the promise of some quality components under there when you’ve rebuilt it.
It’s interesting to see the different building standards that modellers have. I think of myself as a pedantic builder that agonises over every decision and always aims for perfection…but then I look at Brian Sharp’s or Robbie Bridson’s creations and decide I’m actually more of a Roger the Bodger!
The only way to restore my pride is to marvel at the beaten-up airframes being flogged on BMFA and described as having “just a bit of hangar rash”.
So yes, build quality is very subjective isn’t it?
Anyway, hope the new Ka4 wings go together well.
Rog
Filthyrich

Post by Filthyrich »

I saw that it was second time around on eBay I was going to bid but was a bit too much. I've bought the plan available on eBay slightly bigger ribs are done sandwich style . The seller flyer21uk might be able to reduce it to 1/4 scale it's in German so I downloaded Google glass just point the camera at the txt and it translates into English
Looking forward to seeing it finished
Rich
GlynM

Post by GlynM »

Thanks for the info guys!
I’ll post up some pics once I work out why it won’t 🤣
The fuselage in fibreglass really is a work of art - the quality is faultless , and it looks the part with its functioning wing struts .
I still think I got a bargain though for £70 and the seller was a swell chap so no regrets.
( it was his dads who passed)
The rings look pretty simple but quite slim in profile too-and 100% plywood and light hard wood, they weigh a ton !
Once again thanks for the info and I’ll get some pics up of it and my many other large and small projects including my scratch built 1:6 Waco cg4a - which looks fantastic with some dragon 1/6 airborne troops in it!👍🏻👍🏻