• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Scratch Built 1:5 ASW 17

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Brian Sharp

Scratch Built 1:5 ASW 17

Post by Brian Sharp »

Almost exactly one year ago I posted that I was about to start construction of a ASW 17, although I was not planning to do a build log. The build was to be based on a Mike Trew plan using his basic outlines.
Well, as is often the case, things didn’t work out that way. I quickly discovered that I was going to have to completely redraw the plans from scratch which took some considerable time. Then I found that during this year life in general just got in the way with too many other projects.
However, I have now finished a semi-kit, and bits of wood have been glued together. I have decided to do a build log as I feel I need the pressure to give me a boot up the backside and keep me moving forward. I did not finish in 2023 but I do hope to have the “17” completed in the 2024 flying season.
Please find my initial progress below.
Attachments
Some fuselage plywood parts.
Some fuselage plywood parts.
Plywood fuselage formers.
Plywood fuselage formers.
Two wings worth of ribs.
Two wings worth of ribs.
Wood and glue looking like a wing in progress.
Wood and glue looking like a wing in progress.
Jolly Roger

Re: Scratch Built 1:5 ASW 17

Post by Jolly Roger »

Good to see you building again Brian. I’ll be following along with interest, and no doubt learning a few things too ;)
Brian Sharp

Post by Brian Sharp »

Thanks Rog, but I don’t think you are going to learn anything new on this build. To be honest the plans I have drawn are a bit sketchy and I will be feeling my way as I progress. The only parts of the original plans that I have retained are the general outline, the outside contours of the fuselage formers and the strange looking plywood pieces for the fuselage fin section.
Brian S.
Brian Sharp

Post by Brian Sharp »

Since my last post a couple of weeks ago my progress is such that I have now virtually completed the left wing. The wingtip has still to be attached and shaped and the control surfaces require to be profiled, but that will take place a a later date.
January will see the start on the right wing once the festivities subside.
Brian S.
Attachments
Upper surface sheeting completed.
Upper surface sheeting completed.
Lower surface d-box sheeting and wiring added.
Lower surface d-box sheeting and wiring added.
Flap servo and wiring .
Flap servo and wiring .
Wing inner/tip joint and plugging.
Wing inner/tip joint and plugging.
Completed wing upper surface.
Completed wing upper surface.
Completed wing lower surface.
Completed wing lower surface.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

You’re cracking on with it now Brian! I’m sure there are hours of very accurate craftsmanship in those wings.
Brian Sharp

Post by Brian Sharp »

Thanks Rog.
Because I am working from my own plans for these wings, progress tends to be slow as I feel my way along (building by Brail).
There are certainly many hours of work, but only a few minutes of “Accurate Craftmanship”. I still have a small box of craftmanship that I keep under the bench. I got it many, many years ago and it is almost finished, and when it runs out, I will be stuck as no-one seems to stock it these days.
The workbench is now totally clear, the floor is swept and all the tools are hanging in their allotted places on the wall. The workshop is shut down till 2024. At that point I will start on the right-hand wing – Right-hand! Right-hand! I must remember Right-Hand Wing.
Brian S.
Brian Sharp

Post by Brian Sharp »

Happy New Year to you all and "Lang may your lum reek".
Work has now started on the right wing. The basic structure and joiners are complete and sheeting is the next task on the list.
Brian S.
Attachments
Right wing basic structure.
Right wing basic structure.
Brian Sharp

Post by Brian Sharp »

At the beginning of January I made a start on the right-hand wing and progress was pretty good for the first week. Since then “life” has intervened and I have only recently completed the wing up to the same stage as the left wing. The control surfaces have all been cut to shape but still require to be carved to final shape – that will come later.
Today I started on the tailplane and by the end of the afternoon the basic structure with joiners was complete. Hopefully tomorrow will se it get its final shaping.
Brian S.
Attachments
Servos and wining added and sheeting almost finished.
Servos and wining added and sheeting almost finished.
Two wing panels now complete.
Two wing panels now complete.
The two panels plus the control surface blanks.
The two panels plus the control surface blanks.
Tailplane under construction.
Tailplane under construction.
Just about ready for final shaping.
Just about ready for final shaping.
Brian Sharp

Post by Brian Sharp »

The tailplane and elevators are now complete with only the hinging to sort out.
I have now started on the fuselage construction – the formers and stringers were cut and laid aside in October last year. It is a long time since I last used this form of construction for a fuselage and I am having to stop, think and check every little detail along the way.
Brian S.
Attachments
Tailplane & elevators complete except hinging.
Tailplane & elevators complete except hinging.
A start is made on the L/H side of the fuselage.
A start is made on the L/H side of the fuselage.
Brian Sharp

Post by Brian Sharp »

Significant progress has been made on the fuselage in the last couple of weeks. The planking of the left-hand fuselage side is now complete, and the fin has also been integrated. Today I lifted the half shell off the board, and after a little tidying up, I have epoxied a layer of glass cloth inside all of the cockpit bays. The next job will be to commence the right hand shell.
Brian S.
Attachments
Formers added and planking started.
Formers added and planking started.
Planking of L/H side complete
Glass cloth added inside the cockpit area.
Glass cloth added inside the cockpit area.