• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

scale 1:3 Goevier

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Jilles

scale 1:3 Goevier

Post by Jilles »

Hi all, the buid project of my scale 1:3 Goevier has started. A mentioned in the section Who is building what for 2024 the model is avialable from Cliff Evans. this is the first build so any little things that maybe amiss or could be done better will be modified in the design
The parts were cut by Laser Cut Australis in Tasmania. High quality cuttine and material. All plywoond parts are cute from 900x300 sized plywood sheets. This is done to keep transport costs by Australian Post minimal.This required some changes to some parts to make them fit.
The kit is send as a flat pack with all the parts still attached to the original ply sheet with little tabs that has to be cut through with a knife
This way there is a minimal chance that parts get damaged during transport.
This will not be a fast build because I have other things to do like designing glider plans for other people as well
attached some pictures of the flat pack sent to me .
First job is to fit the fuselage top view drawing to my buildng board, makine sure the centerline is straight.
Attachments
FUSE2.jpg
FUSE4.jpg
FUSE5.jpg
Jilles

Re: scale 1:3 Goevier

Post by Jilles »

As mentioned before the NC plywood sheets in Australia are 900x300mm . For this reason some parts had to be cut in two sections. This not nessecary if you would order a Kit from Cliff Evans. Some main fuse formers were cut in two parts. By adding slots the two parts go together with a 0.8m ply doubler on both sides of the joints. I personal prefer to built a fuselage in one piece. Not two halves jont together. To set up the formers at the correct height some formers have building supports to screw them to the building board. A NC cut arrow at the bottom shows the part centerline
and the formers are put in place by an aluminim angle. The fuselage will only be removed fromt the building board after the top half of the fuse is fully planked with plywood. This way of building cost a bit more plywood but for me it is worth the investment to ensure the fuse is straight and level in all directions. All stringers are now in place and the fun of planking and fitting internal stuff can begin.
Somebody 3D printed the nose cone for me, the biggest I used sofar. It took 42 hours to print and has plenty of room for future ballast.
Attachments
FUSE9.jpg
FUSE14.jpg
FUSE15.jpg
FUSE11.jpg
FUSE12.jpg
FUSE13.jpg
FUSE16.jpg
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Looking good Jilles.
Short Kit available here: https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk/produc ... vier-go-4/
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

Update 2
Because we moved to an other house 2 years ago my workshop space is a bit reduced. The building base board is seperate from the workbench so I can swing it side ways to have access to both sides of the project at the same time.
The planking of the tail area has started with 0.4mm plywood. Templates are made from thin cardboard. the shape is then drawn on the plywood and cut out. This minimizes the risk of wasting the not so cheap plywood if a mistake is made. the plywood is fitted with the PVA/Iron methode of applying PVA to both side, wait for an hour then wet the ply on the outside and Iron on the plywood in place.
The bottom rail of the canopy are made now from 1mm plywood strips and sanded in shape as required. This has to be done now when there is easy access from all directions. An equipment tray has been added in the nose. This is not shown on the drawing but left to the builders preferences.
Attached pictures are not nessecary in building order
Attachments
building board set up
building board set up
building board set up
building board set up
nose tray added
nose tray added
ply laminated canopy bottom rails  in progress
ply laminated canopy bottom rails in progress
cuttin cardboard ply template
cuttin cardboard ply template