• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Hungarian Karakan

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
catwok

Hungarian Karakan

Post by catwok »

Good evening all, I was wandering if anyone has any details of the Karakan sailplane besides the the Martin Simons book? I have seen 2 models on YouTube but 1 has a dark wood stained fuz with cream wings and tail feathers and the other model was stained light with varnished leading edge with natural fabric open area. Which 1 is correct or they both right? I am thinking about doing it at 1:3.5 scale
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: Hungarian Karakan

Post by VinceC »

I have quite a bit of information and recently started drawing a plan which has been put on hold. I would hazard a guess at a light coloured wood. The wing colour should be natural linen, but some people tend to use a cream colour to indicate aged fabric, but I am not too much of a fan of that. See this fuselage with Robert Kronfeld in the seat. The second image shows the scout logo on the tail and a Rhönadler ahead of it

Are you making a plan? Can I help with anything?
Attachments
1933-Rotter-Kronfeld.jpg
Farkashegy története 1929-1976 v.1.0-2-629.jpg
catwok

Post by catwok »

Hi Vince I'm in the early stages of design at the moment and will be a winter build. I am taking a slightly different approach to the build in that I am planking the fuz with balsa and I have a very clever friend who does vehicle wraps with vinyl. He is going to scan a piece varnished plywood and produce a panelled effect to the shape of the completed fuz and cover it hopefully in 1 piece. Please don't cringe too much! Regards Paul
patte de loup

Post by patte de loup »

Here, the link of the one karakan built on Retroplane:
http://www.retroplane.net/forum/viewtop ... ht=karakan
Pat'
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

patte de loup - I have the information from Eric, thanks
catwok

Post by catwok »

B####cks .. where's my rubber!
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Considering the hundreds of drawings Martin has made over the years, it would be unrealistic to expect each one to be perfect. Without them (and the work of people like Vince) we would have to rely on manufacturer's 3-views and the like, and there you will find more errors that you can shake a Tx stick at...!
At the end of the day, photos rule, no question.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

At the end of the day, photos rule, no question.

That's strange, I have never had any success measuring with a photo???

Rulers, rule.....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC
geoff_crew

Post by geoff_crew »

So do Kings & Queens Barry !! Sorry mate, had to get that one in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
aka Motley
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Paul

When you get into scale it is difficult to know where to stop. However, as Cliff pointed out, the Simons drawing has incorrect wing tip form and also has incorrect positions of the aileron ribs.

Now I see that the ribs are not as shown on the drawing. Each alternate rib is a half rib in so much as it follows the upper surface, but not the underside. So the question is: do you want your wing built like this or with filled in ribs. See the Wien ribs below on which the Karakan is based
Attachments
Wien Ribs.jpg