Page 1 of 1

Electricityfied...!

Posted: 26 Nov 2015, 14:04
by chris williams
Motley's started the electrification of the 40% K8 Line. So far the budget has doubled and it's two years late... No, wait, that's the South West Line. :D :D :D This is Mott's 'spare' Phoenix K8, the big one: the motor has been shoehorned in with the help of some Smallpiece type engineering. There's a tow release buried in there too...

Re: Electricityfied...!

Posted: 26 Nov 2015, 15:41
by FrankS
Did he not trust you to chuck it off the hill :D

Posted: 26 Nov 2015, 22:42
by Barry_Cole
Where did the prop yoke come from?

Gliders...

BC

Posted: 27 Nov 2015, 21:32
by geoff_crew
Oh i trust him Frank,but have you seen the rates he charges? :D Anyway it's only experimental : I.e. "a little experience and perhaps a tad mental" :lol:

Geoff :D

Posted: 28 Nov 2015, 11:02
by Euan Galloway
Geoff,
Good idea sticking it in the nose :D I have one of the G160 motors on 8s with a 20x8 wooden prop that gives 2000 watts at 69 amps and will fly your K8 , are you using 10s ?
cheers Euan.

Posted: 28 Nov 2015, 16:18
by terry white
;) Hope he allows for motor cooling air! Ter

Posted: 29 Nov 2015, 06:05
by geoff_crew
Euan, Just done a bench test using 10s with 18.5x10 folding prop (way too much power) & nearly dragged me off my feet, so still experimenting. :)
Terry, yes I've made provision for cooling, that's what those 2 holes are for each side of the motor shaft exit. There should also be some additional air flow via the tow release situated further down. However, WIP as they say. :)

Geoff

Posted: 29 Nov 2015, 10:44
by Mick Forey
You can also use a spinner with a cooling hole as this direct feed to the motor: http://www.4-max.co.uk/folding-props-spinners.htm

Mick

Posted: 29 Nov 2015, 14:59
by FrankS
terry white wrote:;) Hope he allows for motor cooling air! Ter
It'll have plenty of time for cooling while he thermals around for a couple of hours between motor runs :D

Posted: 29 Nov 2015, 22:11
by Barry_Cole
FrankS wrote:
terry white wrote:;) Hope he allows for motor cooling air! Ter
It'll have plenty of time for cooling while he thermals around for a couple of hours between motor runs :D
I have dreams like that too. Never happens though...

:( :( :( :(

BC

Posted: 07 Dec 2015, 19:38
by chris williams
More from Motley...that's the three of us awaiting maiden weather :(

dolly 001.JPG
K8motor fitting 001.JPG
K8motor fitting 002.JPG
K8motor fitting 003.JPG

Posted: 12 Dec 2015, 07:47
by FrankS
Interested in the dolly, has it been used before, it look's like it's got quite a high angle of attack, ours keeps the plane almost level so you have to rotate to take off. Is it better to have the dolly set so the plane takes off without any input when it gets to flying speed.

Posted: 12 Dec 2015, 08:56
by Barry_Cole
We will let you know after we have tested it........

If and when the weather ever lets up...

BC