Page 1 of 1

Information and advice

Posted: 24 Jan 2016, 07:53
by john greenfield
Vince and Rob have asked if I will keep an eye on any postings in this part of the Forum to assist any modeller who is interested in building big models.
I am happy to assist where I can so please feel free to post up questions and I will do all I can to assist and /or guide you in the right direction.
I can also assist in the registration, inspection and flight test procedures for over 20kg models via my role as a senior inspector for the LMA.

Happy building

AEB

Re: Information and advice

Posted: 24 Jan 2016, 12:35
by terry white
I cant think of anyone better John. Ter

Posted: 24 Jan 2016, 13:15
by Barry_Cole
terry white wrote:I cant think of anyone better John. Ter
Give me a minute, there must be.............

;) ;) ;) ;)

BC

Posted: 25 Jan 2016, 21:45
by Geoff Pearce
Barry_Cole wrote:
terry white wrote:I cant think of anyone better John. Ter
Give me a minute, there must be.............

;) ;) ;) ;)

BC
You've had your minute! You know it makes sense :P :P :oops:

Geoff

Posted: 26 Jan 2016, 12:59
by B Sharp
John, can you get in touch with Barry as a matter of urgency. He is building the largest model he has built for some time and is bound to require your advice so he can get it finished this year!
Brian. :D :lol: :D

Posted: 26 Jan 2016, 13:58
by Barry_Cole
Dear Mr Blunt.
THTHTHTHTHTHTH

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BC

Posted: 27 Jan 2016, 07:41
by john greenfield
B Sharp wrote:John, can you get in touch with Barry as a matter of urgency. He is building the largest model he has built for some time and is bound to require your advice so he can get it finished this year!
Brian. :D :lol: :D
Brian
All the advice in the world won't help Barry finish a model in 1 year....And he does not listen anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

AEB

Posted: 27 Jan 2016, 08:52
by B Sharp
In my experience John, Barry is listening all the time (a bit like GCHQ), it's his responses that you have to watch out for.
Brian. :D

Posted: 17 Feb 2016, 18:41
by cond0160
Hi,
Hopefully this is the correct section to be looking for help. If not some direction would be appreciated. Anyways, I am building a 40 pound (18.1 kg) aircraft that will need to use a bicycle configuration for landing. I have been trying to find a retractable landing gear that is strong enough for an aircraft of this size but for the most part, have come up empty handed. To make matters more difficult, this aircraft will be landing in rough terrain and needs a decent amount of travel of the wheel when extended but fully compressed. As in a couple inches. If anyone could direct me to any useful retracts, it would be much appreciated.
Sidenote: The strut needs to be trailing link and not just oleo
Thanks,
Ryan

Posted: 18 Feb 2016, 08:42
by john greenfield
Try

http://kingfisher-aviation.com/premier-retracts/

They make retracts for many large models and can also make custom one off's.

AEB

Posted: 18 Feb 2016, 16:41
by terry white
John, Barry doesn't have time to listen to your advice because hes so busy giving it out :D :lol: :lol: Ter

Posted: 18 Feb 2016, 19:59
by Barry_Cole
My ears are burning, what goes on.........

:o :o :o :o

BC

Posted: 16 Jul 2019, 02:07
by Chas Smith
Hi John

I just joined last week and already very excited to get going on a project.

I am buying a Minimoa short kit from cliff and will be my first large model and I know I will need some advise and help. I have built regular homebuilt and help to restore classic and antique aircraft over the last 50 or so years.
I am retired from flying airline and business aircraft and looking forward to building some models .(too old to fly now 77). I have been active in the Rc world for the last 3 years and before that started in the mid fifties with u control but had too many other things going on, wife,kids,job,etc.

I will odrer my short kit later this week.

Where is the best sorce of supply for birch ply? I know I will be needing some. (a lot)

Look forward to getting started. :D :D

Cheers
Charles
Fremont Ca :D

Posted: 16 Jul 2019, 09:15
by Barry_Cole
GCHQ is listening, beware........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC

Posted: 16 Jul 2019, 09:33
by chris williams
We have some good suppliers here in the UK, but it would be quite costly to get it over to your neck of the woods?

Posted: 30 Jul 2019, 17:15
by Cliff Hannam
Hi Charles,

Re: Birch Ply...

As you are in Ca I suggest you contact 'Aircraft Spruce and Specialty'.

Aircraft Spruce WEST
225 Airport Circle
Corona, CA 92880

I have used them for full size and large model timber and they are very helpful.
May be rather expensive for model use though, as all wood is certificated :roll: