• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Building Jig and tools

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Dave Whittaker

Building Jig and tools

Post by Dave Whittaker »

Hi all
I have just ordered a short kit from Cliff Evans and this will be my first 1/3 scale glider, I have build many kits and scratch gliders and planes over the years but was just wondering what jigs and tools are out there that would help the build. Obviously I the basic knives, planes, sanding blocks and mulit tools but thats about it.
Cheers Dave
Dave Whittaker

Re: Building Jig and tools

Post by Dave Whittaker »

Thanks
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Dave,
The Bridson Jig (aka Robbie Bridson of SSUK webmaster fame) is easy enough to make & pretty useful if you are looking at building woodie models.
There are some pictures of mine In use within the Fuselage 1 zip file for the 1/4 Scale Bocian build I did a couple of years ago - see archived build threads.
The jig basically consists of two pieces of aluminium angle, spaced apart using lengths of threaded rod/nuts to give a central gap wide enough for former mounting stations to be slid along & secured at any desired position. A metal tape measure strip is double sided taped to one side to allow easy identification of the positioning of the stations.
If you need more info, then don't hesitate to ask as I can easily take a few snaps of mine.
Peter
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Dave Whittaker

Post by Dave Whittaker »

What size section angel have you used and where is the best place to get the ally from also Chris what is the lenth of the ka6e fuse so i can get in the right lenght
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

My jig is built from 1" X 1" Ali. angle & M6 studding/nuts which I probably picked up from a B&Q store as they do a good selection of metal sections.
My jig started off as 60" long but it had to be extended to cater for the 1/4 scale Bocian - now approx 2m long.
I don't know what the standard lengths available are, but if you can fit it in then longer is better than too short.
Dave Whittaker

Post by Dave Whittaker »

Thanks guys I will build a 3 meter jig then I will have the scope for other models in the future
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Peter Balcombe wrote:'Dave,
The Bridson Jig (aka Robbie Bridson of SSUK webmaster fame)..............'
Alas not, that honour goes to Vince, I (with others) merely look after the forum.
Dave Whittaker

Post by Dave Whittaker »

Thanks that will be very handy, I have ordered some 40mmx40mm angle and tube to use as spacer between the angle hope off cuts from the angle will be big enough to make the fixing plates
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Dave,

40mm will be fine for your supports. My original has 50mm and they are more than enough.

You don't need tube to space the two runners - you can do it with nuts each side of the runner (I have a photo somewhere) and this way you can fine tune the gap perfectly the whole length of the jig.