The PWS 101
details from the documentation and plan by the late Peter Saunders
The Podlaska Wytornia Samolotow (Podlasian Aircraft Factory) was based at Biala Podlaska in Poland, specialising in the design and production of powered aircraft and is a single seat high performance glider of wooden construction with a mid-position gull wing. . In 1936 Waclaw Czerwinski joined PWS as chief designer, and a decision was made to add sailplanes as a sideline to their production capacity. Towards the end of 1936 construction began on two pre-production examples of Czerwinski’s design, to be known as PWS 101. Exquisite lines and sound design incorporating a number of innovations made it outstanding in the pre-war era. First flights took place in the Spring of 1937, and no doubt it was then hurriedly prepared to take part in the Rhön-SegeljlugWettbewerb on the Wasserkuppe in July, later to be regarded as the first World Glider Championship.
SP-1005 at the Wasserkuppe competition – 1937
The Polish entry, one of seven national teams competing in the event, consisted of two Orliks, two PWS 101s and one CW5 bis/35-WOS. On the first day of the event, Piotr Mynarski, flying a PWS 101 (SP- 1005), reached Hamburg – a distance of 351km (218 miles)to share the first prize with a German pilot. In doing so, Mynarski established a new Polish national distance record, while in the final results he placed tenth overall, and third amongst his countrymen – his performances helping the Polish team to place second, behind the Germans.